[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and sendmail

Bill Ford bill.w5waf at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 21:16:50 MST 2005

Since all the asterisk program needs to do is send mail through smtp,
and since using sendmail for this purpose is a bit like using Jeff
Gordon's racing engine on a bicycle we opted to scrap sendmail and use
msmtp. This is basically just an smtp engine. To our mail server, it
looks just like any other smtp client. It's very easy to set up. After
you have it working from the command line, simply remove the sendmail
startup from init.d, rename the sendmail executable (I renamed mine
sendmail.orig, and it's in /usr/sbin). msmtp installs itself in
/usr/local/bin, so I created a link in the sbin directory to link
msmtp to the filename sendmail in sbin.
(ln -s /usr/local/bin/msmtp /usr/sbin/sendmail). That way whenever a
program calls sendmail, it is in reality calling msmtp. It works like
a charm.

Hope this helps
Bill