[Asterisk-Users] Help to configure asterisk to dial to an PSTN line

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at interia.pl
Thu Apr 28 14:02:30 MST 2005

Amit Singla wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have bought a Digium TDM400P and am using asterisk on RedHat 9.0. I
> was able to configure Asterisk and SJPhone, so I have been able to call
> from IP to IP and also from IP to a analog phone which is attached to
> the digium card.
>
> My problem now is to dial from an IP phone to an PSTN line or any
> telecom line and reverse. I don't know what changes or addition I have
> to make in which files (sip.conf,extension.conf,zapata.conf etc). I have
> tried to search for it but all in vain.

It depends on the hardware you have.
This is for an ISDN line.

This means that if you dial 01234567 on your sip phone (_0.), Asterisk
will dial Modem/group1 (which is configured in modem.conf), and dial
your extension (${EXTEN) 01234567, without the first number (:1})

exten => _0.,1,Dial(Modem/g1:${EXTEN:1})
; can be also Modem/ttyI0; will call through
; first available /dev/ttyI though
exten => _0.,2,Congestion

Dialing 6712 on your sip phone will call 12.

exten => 6712,1,Dial(Modem/ttyI0:12)

Try reading Asterisk Handbook Project, it should be explained there for
your configuration I think.

Tomek