[Asterisk-Users] Hints: What are they? How do they work?

Matthew Boehm mboehm at cytelcom.com
Thu Apr 28 13:42:03 MST 2005

We have lots of customers who want to be able to look at their Cisco 79XX
phone and see lines are in use.
Do hints work with Cisco phones?

Perhaps someone can clarify this: We have many 7960's. Which means 6 "lines"
right? Not really, cause each line must have a SIP username/password and
must login to the system. So if I have 6 phones and all 6 phones want 6
lines, then I will need 36 SIP username/passwords right? And I still won't
be able to tell if line 5 is in use or not.

What exactly is a "hint"? How does a "hint" translate into "turn light on"
on some phones?

-Matthew

Matthew Boehm, IT Director                    Cypress Telecommunications
mboehm at cytelcom.com                   3838 N. Sam Houston Parkway E #400
T: 832-200-8640 x3044                                  Houston, TX 77032

My girlfriend was recently diagnosed with multiple personality disorder;
 When she called yesterday, my CallerID box exploded.