[Asterisk-Users] IAX aproprietary protocol

Joseph syscon at interbaun.com
Thu Apr 28 06:17:04 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 10:33 +0400, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
> Joseph wrote:
>
> >Can anybody explain me why IAX is called proprietary protocol?
> >In some places IAX is refereed as "open protocol".
> >
> >How can proprietary protocol be open protocol?
> >

> Since the source code is available to anyone and GPL'ed it is an open
> protocol.
>
> However it's not a standard and there is no clear specification other
> than the source code (which kind of sucks because it means that ATA
> makers probably won't support it).

Not really, I've exchanged few emails with one of the ATA manufacture in
Taiwan and was able to convince them to add IAX2 to their ATA units; so
by Q3 they said they will add it.

I think is is the matter of speaking out and let them know what we are
interested in (no IAX2 no sale).
Once one or two of them will implement IAX2 in their units it will be
like a chain reaction soon most of them will be supporting this
protocol.
ATCOM manufacture of AG-units in China will be adding support for IAX2
(according to their FAQ on their web-page).
Soundwin in Taiwan will be adding it a well.

--
#Joseph