[Asterisk-Users] X100P delayed ring on incoming calls?

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Mon Apr 25 04:28:31 MST 2005

Joseph Gutowski <asteriskdump at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> I wasn't suggesting Asterisk should magically be able to pick up the
> call before it rings at all, just that if my old roommate could
> manage to dive across the room and pick up half way through the
> first ring 99% of the time, surely a computer could do it (if it
> wasn't waiting for caller ID or distinctive ring determination).

This tangential thread was referring to the UK. Your roommate would
have to be very alert and fit to be able to realise the phone is
ringing and answer it within 400ms :)

With a 20Hz ringing current, that's just eight cycles of AC per ring.
A piece of kit that tries to detect ringing without just leaving it to
finish ringing is likely to suffer from false positives.

> And the "1 ring" wasn't constant -- sometimes it's one ring,
> sometimes it's 3 -- with no apparent reason (test server with
> nothing to do except answer one X100P and play an IVR menu).

Well, the X100P (or at least a clone) is an unreliable piece of junk
anyway, so this doesn't surprise me. Mine has now taken to randomly
answering the line even when there's no inbound call, and has now been
relegated to being just a Zaptel timing source.

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse at mooli.org.uk for full key

Please contribute to the beer fund and a tidier house:
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZpndc