[Asterisk-Users] X100P delayed ring on incoming calls?

Adrian Chapman adrian at trivas.co.uk
Fri Apr 22 04:21:43 MST 2005

Joseph Gutowski wrote:
> The only way I know of to speed it up is to turn off all of the
> features like distinctive ring detection, caller ID, etc. -- depending
> on your usage, that may help some. I haven't confirmed that this
> actually does anything myself, but it seems logical that Asterisk
> could pick up quicker if it wasn't waiting for caller ID. This is what
> people suggest if you Google the list.
>
> Either way, the best I've ever managed on the X100P's was 1 ring
> before Asterisk picks up and starts doing its thing.

We came across this exact problem in testing, and the more we thought
about it, the more we realised it's actually a non-problem.

Think about it from the point of view of the person ringing. What do
they hear, if there's that delay?

    <ring ring>
    <ring ring>
    <ring ring>
    Thank you for calling XYZ. Please press 1 for this, 2 for that
    <hold music>
    Hello, XYZ, Dave speaking, how can I help?

Now remove the <ring ring> - they've barely finished dialling before
they're into the "Thank you for calling". I don't know about you, but I
tend to use the "ringing time" as a bit of an opportunity to get my
brain in gear. It actually *throws* me slightly if I don't hear a ring
or three.

If somebody's using an all-in-one type of phone, perhaps a landline with
the buttons in the same physical bit you hold to your head, or a mobile,
they'll probably miss the first ring or so as they move the phone from
in front of them to their ear.

Which is better - they miss a <ring ring> or they miss the initial
announcement and have to go through the IVR again, or just plain get a
bit flustered? Don't forget - not all callers are "us". A lot of people
out there still have techno-fear with things as complex as telephones.

--
Adrian Chapman
Director