[Asterisk-Users] asterisk home wiring question

Dylan VanHerpen packetbell at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 09:20:43 MST 2005

Chris,

If you are looking to run your second line through *, you will need to
run the line from the demarc to an FXO port on your Asterisk machine,
and then run a line from an FXS card to the jack location where you
will be using an analog phone.

You cannot connect an incoming line from your telco to an FXS port.

Dylan.

On 4/20/05, snacktime <snacktime at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was thinking about the best way to hook up the second line in my
> house to an * fxs port.  Would I just wire the fxs to the incoming
> side of a line at my demarc?

By 2nd line you mean a phone line from your telco, or an unused pair of wire?

> Or should I splice it in after that?
If you splice the FXS port into an existing phone line, you will be
putting 2 dialtones on the line (one from *, one from your telco). The
end result will be no dialtone at all ;)