[Asterisk-Users] asterisk home wiring question

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Thu Apr 21 10:28:10 MST 2005

Just to add some general wiring tips from my experience. (and yes you need
to go to an fxo port with the incoming telco line, and the fxs ports go to
your phones - you can't mix and match and parallel things up, the only
exception being more than one phone on an fxs port if the port can supply
enough ringing power or you turn off some of the ringers)

anyway, these are just some general tips that worked for me

- use home run wiring to a central spot even if it gets costly in cable
- run extra wire even if you think you will never need it
- use the same type of wire for everything so you can switch stuff around
later (eg: use cat6 4pr for phone jacks even though it is grossly
overrated, but you can always switch to an ipphone later without digging
into the walls again.)
- use RJ45 jacks for phone outlets as well, the RJ11 still mates fine. If
you hookup the network pairs and the phone pair, they can coexist in the
same jack and it can serve either purpose.
- use punchdown blocks even for the smallest of installations, install and
changes are just so much simpler and cleaner than any other splicing
method.
- if you have a channel bank with fxs and fxo, get a mating AMP connector
and hard wire it with an emergency configuration of lines to extensions,
if the channel bank fails, just plug the hardwired connector into your
building wiring.
- label everything clearly, and make a plan of the installation, or before
you know it you'll only be able to find one end of some of the wires.

> Chris,
>
> If you are looking to run your second line through *, you will need to
> run the line from the demarc to an FXO port on your Asterisk machine,
> and then run a line from an FXS card to the jack location where you
> will be using an analog phone.
>
> You cannot connect an incoming line from your telco to an FXS port.
>
> Dylan.
>
> On 4/20/05, snacktime <snacktime at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was thinking about the best way to hook up the second line in my
>> house to an * fxs port.  Would I just wire the fxs to the incoming
>> side of a line at my demarc?
>
> By 2nd line you mean a phone line from your telco, or an unused pair of
> wire?
>
>> Or should I splice it in after that?
> If you splice the FXS port into an existing phone line, you will be
> putting 2 dialtones on the line (one from *, one from your telco). The
> end result will be no dialtone at all ;)
>

>> I need to rewire the whole house anyways.  What I had imagined was new
>> cat3 for the phones, and then running a cat5 also while I'm at it for
>> housewide internet access.
>>
>> Now my computer room where the internet switch and my * box are
>> located is at the opposite end of the house from the demarc.  That is
>> where the fxs port would be.  The house has a huge crawl space so
>> running the wire will be easy.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Chris
>
> !DSPAM:4267d4ef155358827913156!

Jon Pounder

   _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com