[Asterisk-Users] asterisk home wiring question

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Thu Apr 21 05:01:48 MST 2005

> I was thinking about the best way to hook up the second line in my
> house to an * fxs port.  Would I just wire the fxs to the incoming
> side of a line at my demarc?  Or should I splice it in after that?
>
> I need to rewire the whole house anyways.  What I had imagined was new
> cat3 for the phones, and then running a cat5 also while I'm at it for
> housewide internet access.
>
> Now my computer room where the internet switch and my * box are
> located is at the opposite end of the house from the demarc.  That is
> where the fxs port would be.  The house has a huge crawl space so
> running the wire will be easy.
>
> Any thoughts?

There are many different ways to address your wishes depending on
your longer term objectives.

If you really are going to rewire the entire house, then cable each
phone back to some common point (demarc). That gives you the flexibility
to tie all the phones together, or, separate them into individual
asterisk extensions (or group them into line1 & line2 as needed).

You can use something like the sipura spa-3000 for total access. The
fxo port wired to your pstn phone line, and the fxs port would have
all of your house phones attached to it. The spa3k is highly configurable
and provides lots of flexibility in changing your environment without
redoing wiring, etc.

I've got about ten phones wired to a single spa3k fxs port and it works
well. However, the spa will not be able to drive very many of the old
mechanical ringers.

You might even consider using some of those cordless phones (one base
with multiple remotes). I'm using a two-line cordless version with one
of the lines assigned to the spa3k fxs port, and the second line
assigned to a different incoming pstn line (or * extn).

Lots of choices.