licensing *sigh* (was Re: [Asterisk-Users] US$200 bounty for * paging feature)

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Apr 19 20:20:06 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 19:58 -0700, snacktime wrote:
> It doesn't.  Although I think the bounty system was put together under
> the assumption that the resulting code would be open source?  I'd go
> for making that distinction.  If someone wants custom code then that's
> what they would ask for, and if they post a bounty everyone knows the
> result will be available to the community.   At $200 someone might be
> willing to do the work if they know it's going to be open source, but
> if it's a work for hire, $200 is extremely paltry.

I agree that it is not worth my time for $200 only, especially paid the
way it is.  This is more than one days work and that is barely one days
pay.  But the use of the word bounty, since that is an older word that
was adapted to mean paying for code I dont know that to nit pick over
the use of that term, when it was clear what he was asking for, closed
source that he owns the rights to since he is paying for it, I cant have
an objection to the use of that term.

If he had asked for someone to be a code whore (program for cash) I
wouldnt have a problem with that either, and I have even called myself a
tech whore (I do more than just code) for that reason.  Soime people
however may take offense to using  that term.

If people pay me to code I have absolutly no problem with them owning
it, infact its the law in many places that unless previously stated when
contracted to do work, when you do work for hire the work product is the
property of the person paying.

I would have had more of a symantic problem with him saying it was a
donation rather than a bounty.  After all bounty hunters are people who
perform a task for money, not for the good of the community.  But as
long as it was clearly defined I would have just ignored the use of the
word 'donation' rather than anything else.

--
Trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com
UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402