licensing *sigh* (was Re: [Asterisk-Users] US$200 bounty for * paging feature)

snacktime snacktime at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 19:58:04 MST 2005

On 4/19/05, Andrew Kohlsmith <akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com> wrote:
> On April 19, 2005 08:41 pm, Matthew Walster wrote:
> > Richard wrote:
> > >. close source and we own the code.
> >
> > I was interested until I saw this. Nice try, but no thanks. If you are
> > doing what I think you're doing, you're opening Asterisk up to a patent
> > fight. And that's not what we're about. You want to develop for
> > Asterisk? Do it in the spirit of the community.
>
> I'm curious; what on earth are you talking about?  Why is something they're
> not distributing opening up asterisk to a patent fight?

It doesn't.  Although I think the bounty system was put together under
the assumption that the resulting code would be open source?  I'd go
for making that distinction.  If someone wants custom code then that's
what they would ask for, and if they post a bounty everyone knows the
result will be available to the community.   At $200 someone might be
willing to do the work if they know it's going to be open source, but
if it's a work for hire, $200 is extremely paltry.

Chris