[Asterisk-Users] RE: Ebay listing selling Asterisk @ Home and AMPfor over 1000 dollars

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Apr 12 12:57:19 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 15:34 -0400, Robert Webb wrote:

> But not having this sellers code, I connot confirm nor
> deny that this is the case.
>
> Can anyone chime in on whether or not this seller must
> provide the source code for what he is selling??

With gpl you are required to make code available.  If they are using
unmodified off the shelf GPL software its possible they dont have to
provide it themselves but can point to the main distribution sites.
Code is not required to be given with the item iirc, but it must be made
available *somewhere* upon request.

GPL requires copyright notices afaik as well.

In addition to GPL some software vendors require other licensing terms,
such as prominant display of copyright in places people are likely to
see it, ie rendered HTML output from some web based app.  afaik this is
not 'stock' gpl but an addon term.  I certainly dont recall seeing
anything in the gpl that forces priminant display of copyright
information and if it did why does linux support 'quiet' to supress all
of those messages at boot? :)

--
Trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com