[Asterisk-Users] RE: Ebay listing selling Asterisk @Home andAMPfor over 1000 dollars

Kerry Garrison kerryg at techdatapros.com
Tue Apr 12 08:28:18 MST 2005

This guy is not selling extension licensing, he is selling a pre-configured
system and charges extra to configure more extensions and says "other people
charge extra licenses for extensions" of which I can only find the big PBX
manufacturers that do that. Regardless, you sure can charge extension
licensing if you choose to and it is a common practice to do that as a way
of creating a service contract for your client. A typical "extension
license" provides the programming, support, and maintenance of that
extension. There is absolutely nothing "wrong" with that.

The music on hold music is from FreePlayMusic whose licensing agreement on
their site would make the use of that music within Asterisk a violation of
their licensing agreement. I haven't looked in Asterisk licensing to find
where the use of the tracks from FreePlayMusic are mentioned, and without
that, they have every right to charge for them.

The only difference between deploying an Asterisk server and a legacy style
PBX is the cost of the underlieing technology. The rest of the business
model still applies.

Finally, isn't this a whole lot of nothing anyway since he has never had
even 1 bid on any of his previous auctions for the same thing?
-Kerry