[Asterisk-Users] Re: Problems trying to compile H323 from CVS-STABLE

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Mon Apr 11 12:31:31 MST 2005

Yesterday I wrote:
> I'm trying to compile channels/h323 and chan_h323 from CVS-STABLE, on
> Fedora Core 3.
>
> [... snip ...]

Well I gave up with chan_h323, which is a pity, because it should be the
solution that is better integrated with Asterisk. I would still like to
hear from anybody that has any ideas (please see my original post).

Instead, I downloaded asterisk-oh323-0.6.5 from InAccessNetworks, along
with Janus-patch4 of PWlib (1.6.6.3) and OpenH323 (1.13.5.3). Following
the instructions exactly, installation went smoothly, and worked first
time.

When testing the ability of dual 3GHz Xeons to handle many simultaneous
OH323 calls (G.711 so no heavy transcoding), I discovered that chan_oh323
is EXTREMELY profligate with file descriptors! Each open oh323 channel
uses 21 fds, yes TWENTY-ONE!

In order to handle upwards of 120 simultaneous calls I needed to increase
the per-process file descriptor limit from the default of 1024, using
the technique described at:
http://www.xenoclast.org/doc/benchmark/HTTP-benchmarking-HOWTO/node7.html

I then added "ulimit -n 8192" to /usr/sbin/safe_asterisk.

It seems to be working ok now, but I'd still like to get chan_h323 working
sometime, as I have a feeling it will be much less hungry for file
descriptors!

Comments, anyone?

Cheers
Tony