[Asterisk-Users] Problems trying to compile H323 from CVS-STABLE

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Sun Apr 10 14:34:43 MST 2005

I'm trying to compile channels/h323 and chan_h323 from CVS-STABLE, on
Fedora Core 3.

Firstly, despite the warnings in h323/README, I decided to try using
the distro-specific versions of openh323 and pwlib. Of course, the
Makefiles in channels and channels/h323 assume that openh323 and pwlib
have been specially compiled in $HOME, so I modified the Makefiles to
look for headers and libraries in the places where the distro put them.

The distro versions are openh323 1.13.4 and pwlib 1.6.5.

Amazingly, it all compiled with NO UNDEFINED SYMBOLS!

I did this on two boxes, and then attempted to get them to talk H.323
to each other:

exten => _9.,1,Dial(H323/${EXTEN:1}@192.168.0.xxx/${CALLERIDNUM})

(each box has a SIP phone registered to it)

Dialling 9 followed by the extension of the other box's phone successfully
rang the destination phone, and I could successfully pick up the call.

However, NO AUDIO was passed in either direction. A tcpdump trace showed
no RTP traffic being generated between the two boxes.

Call hangup was correctly passed between the boxes.

While the call was in progress, h.323 show tokens gave no output, although
h.323 debug told me what the call token was, and h.323 hangup <token>
worked successfully.

h.323 show codecs also gave no output.

=======

OK, I thought, lets try it the official way. The README file in h323 of
STABLE says to use openh323 1.12.2 and pwlib 1.5.2. However, these are so
old that www.voxgratia.org doesn't have them any more! The earliest
versions available are 1.12.3 and 1.5.3 respectively.

Well those are only a minor point newer, so I tried them. Unfortunately,
that version of pwlib won't even compile on FC3. It gets warnings all
the way through the compilation, and at the end the make fails with
a linker error. :-(

So that approach was rather abortive.

=======

Has anyone managed to get H323 (not OH323) working in the STABLE branch,
using a recent distro of Linux such as FC3? If so, what versions of
openh323 and pwlib did you use?

It seems to me that I was ALMOST there using the FC3 libraries, but how
can I find out why no RTP is being generated?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers
Tony
--