[Asterisk-Users] iaxtel.com - low bandwidth codecs

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri Apr 8 15:44:21 MST 2005

> >> Has anyone succeeded in connecting to iaxtel.com
> >> with a low bandwidth codec?  So far all I've
> >> been able to connect with is adpcm, and it
> >> overwhelms my isdn line. breaks up, stops, starts,
> >> plays for a while, etc.
> >
> >Haven't tried it lately, but iaxtel has been mostly unusable
> >for the last few months. Don't think anyone is actually
> >maintaining it.
>
> Ah.  I was beginning to suspect that might be the case,
> but was hoping all the problems would go away once I
> solved the bandwidth/codec issues.
>
> Perhaps the folks who own iaxtel.com should just take it
> down.  A test system that doesn't really work as advertised,
> really is not nice to newbies bringing up their first
> asterisk box and just assume the problems are with their
> box.
>
> Things started working much better when I started using
> a test account at voipjet.com with the free $.25 credit.
> It was the first sign that my asterisk box really was
> working, after wasting a lot of time trying to get
> iaxtel.com to work.

If you're looking for a free account to play with, check out
www.freeworlddialup.com
They can support iax or sip, and there are a couple of ways
their web site can generate an inbound call to you for testing,
etc. I don't use them for much, but if I recall, you can
complete US 800 calls through them.