[Asterisk-Users] external access to voicemail?

Mick Hastings mick_hastings at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 8 00:21:03 MST 2005

Hi all,

I currently have a setup where my users dial in to a dedicated DID that
sends them to VoiceMailMain(). this works fine except for the fact that
nobody can remember the number! (they already have to remember the main
number, their personal number, fax number and mobile number)

What I would like to setup is a way of people checking there own voicemail
by dialing there normal extension DID, waiting for it to go to VoiceMail()
and then keying in a secret code (or maybe just * as they are required to
enter a password later anyway) that switches them to VoiceMailMain() for
checking their messages.

Has anyone already done this? I know it is quite common on home answering
machines.

I guess its just a matter of checking for DTMF whilst playing back the
unavailable message or something? Can this be done without being integrated
into the VoiceMail() code?

cheers for all the help,
Mick