[Asterisk-Users] TE405P vs TE410P

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Thu Apr 7 13:02:30 MST 2005

Earlier today, I sent the following question to Sales @ Digium:

> I noticed when the TE110P came out that it has both 5V and 3.3V
> cutouts in its PCI edge connector, so that it works in both types of
> PCI slot.
>
> Does Digium have any plans to merge the TE405P and TE410P products
> into a single card with both cutouts too? Andrew Kohlsmith reported on
> the asterisk-users list a year ago that the TE405P does work in both
> types of slot if it is given the extra cutout:
> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2004-April/003668.html
> and followups.
>
> It would certainly make inventory easier when working with different
> types of system!

The reply I received was as follows, and seems to directly contradict
the findings reported in the thread I referred to.

> Tony,
>
> Do NOT cut out the slot and run 3.3 volt cards in 5 volt slots or
> vice-versa. This will void your warranty and, if not right away, it
> will eventually kill the card.
>
> The PCI interface chip that is on those cards only supports one
> voltage.  We do not currently have access to a chip that is fast
> enough that supports both voltages, so we have no current plans to
> merge the boards.  This is something that we would like to do, and if
> it becomes possible I am sure we will do that.
>
> I hope this answers your questions. If there is anything else we can
> do, please let us know.

That's a pity and I'm not convinced the assertion is true.

Andrew, if you read this, is your hacksawed TE405P board still in a 3.3V
slot and still working?

I have no intention of hacksawing a board myself, but the findings of a
year ago suggested that all Digium would need to do is to respin the PCB
with an extra slot and make no other changes.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield