[Asterisk-Users] Sound quality with Xten Xlite softphones...

Maik Hassel hassel at simplyefficient.ca
Tue Apr 5 10:46:14 MST 2005

Hello everybody,

I started using the XTen Xlite softphones (just to get something up and
running quickly). Everything works fine now, but the sound quality is
somewhat disappointing.

The "sending" - e.g. everything I say, dtmf tones, etc - receives the
person on the other end in perfect quality, everything great. The
problem is in everything that I hear: May it be the recorded voicemail
message, echo test, or someone talking on the other line, the quality is
mediocre at best. It actually sounds like someone is interrupting the
line for microseconds (like someone is wiggeling the headphone cable in
the plug).
Now packet loss is unlikely, I am using other voip product for
international calls (like skype) and never encountered that problem, and
the test network only consists of two machines and a switch.

Did anyone else encounter the problem? Is it a XLite problem (if yes:
Can anyone suggest a better free(!) softphone)? Or is it Asterisk related?

Thanks for any thoughts
 Maik

--
Simply Efficient - IT Services, Consulting, Training
"We Keep Our Promises"