[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7960 SIP images

Glenn Powers glenn at net127.com
Tue Apr 5 10:43:09 MST 2005

Sorry for the late followup, but I want to share my lovely Cisco experience.

First, after placing orders for the $8 contracts with both CDW and INSIGHT
and having both orders cancelled a week later (for some "supplier
problem"), I went with the $74 contract from INSIGHT (CDW wanted $84,
IIRC). I actually got that contract.

Then, I tried to "register" the phone, only to find that the
factory-applied serial number wasn't even in Cisco's database. (Another
phone's serial number from the same purchase worked fine.) I actually had
a Cisco customer support person tell me "once you give us a valid serial
number for the phone, we can open a case for the invalid serial number on
the phone." I was speechless.

I never had an issue with who owned the phone. I told Cisco it belonged to
a client (true) and I didn't know who purchased it. They seemed fine with
that.

Upgrading old (Circa 2000) Cisco 7960 phones is a joy in itself. They
don't actually follow any documented self-update procedure AND the
procedure they do follow changes significantly by current firmware
version. Plus, you can't upgrade directly from an old (<v6) firmware
version to a new version.

tcpdump is your friend. Watch closely for the first file the phone wants.
Edit that file. Keep in mind the phone may choose to ignore that file and
look in SIPDefault.cnf or MCGDeulft.cnf instead.

Having said all that, I firmly believe that the Cisco 7960s are BY FAR the
BEST IP phones available.

It's a real credit to Cisco's engineers, product designers, etc. that a
product's setup/upgrade can be so completely horrific and people will
still demand their product.

cheers,
glenn