[Asterisk-Users] Sound quality with Xten Xlite softphones...

Bruno Hertz brrhtz at yahoo.de
Tue Apr 5 12:07:30 MST 2005

Maik Hassel <hassel at simplyefficient.ca> writes:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I started using the XTen Xlite softphones (just to get something up
> and running quickly). Everything works fine now, but the sound quality
> is somewhat disappointing.
>
> The "sending" - e.g. everything I say, dtmf tones, etc - receives the
> person on the other end in perfect quality, everything great. The
> problem is in everything that I hear: May it be the recorded voicemail
> message, echo test, or someone talking on the other line, the quality
> is mediocre at best. It actually sounds like someone is interrupting
> the line for microseconds (like someone is wiggeling the headphone
> cable in the plug).
> Now packet loss is unlikely, I am using other voip product for
> international calls (like skype) and never encountered that problem,
> and the test network only consists of two machines and a switch.
>
> Did anyone else encounter the problem? Is it a XLite problem (if yes:
> Can anyone suggest a better free(!) softphone)? Or is it Asterisk
> related?

Most likely an XLite/local sound (driver etc) related problem. I'm
currently testing XLite on linux, and especially the XLite buffer
parameters have quite some impact on audio quality as well as latency,
in a tradeoff sense.

You could try other softphones, like SJPhone, and compare. If there's
a notable difference, try to tune XLite in case you want to use it, or
just use the phone which works best.

Look here for a extensive list of hard- and softphones
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-VOIP+Phones

Also, it's always beneficial to tell us the OS you're working and having
problems on (Windows, Linux, etc), since e.g. XLite on linux is still
beta.

Regards, Bruno.