[Asterisk-Users] Re: New to asterisk.

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Sun Apr 3 06:58:59 MST 2005

Hi Paul -

> I am very new in asterisk community. I just compiled & installed
> asterisk on a fedora core 3 machine and I want for test purpose to do
> a small PBX that use X-lite windows sip clients and no trunk for the
> begining.
>
> Where can I find a good how-to to do this job.  A small starting
> how-to that let me understand the principles of setting a PBX with
> asterisk. The handbook does not like starting guide.

There's a great tutorial from OnLamp (the O'Reilly people) to do just
what you're looking to do.  They recommend using hardphones instead,
but the setup is basically the same:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2003/07/03/asterisk.html?page=1

With the X-lite clients, just be sure you turn of silence suppression
(if you don't it will cause asterisk to hang up on you!).  See this:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+phone+xten+xlite

- Noah