[Asterisk-Users] What about a higher level configuration language

Craig Guy cguy at bigpond.net.au
Sun Sep 26 18:07:27 MST 2004

The jump to +101 does not mean busy and it is wrong to assume this.  A jump
to +101 more closely resembles an error condition or exception roughly
meaning 'The channel cannot be created'.  A busy is a specific instance of
the general case of 'channel cannot be created'.  For example see the
Chanisavail command and also the $Dialstatus variable.  If for example
someone dials an undefined extension then the dialplan jumps to +101, if
someone unplugs their phone, the dialplan jumps to +101.

In my office we are all within shouting distance of each other so I treat
internal busy different depending on the context, external callers get
voicemail whilst internal callers get busy.  Along the same lines external
callers dialling a non-existent extension get routed to reception whilst
internal callers get a hangup tone.

My point is that +101 is just one example of things to consider before
designing another 'configuration language'.  Make sure you understand how
the existing 'language' works and recognise that many people use * for many
different things.  I fear a config language that would be good for IVR but
crap for a multi-site software PBX or more generally, good for some things
but not so good for doing other things, thereby restricting *'s current
flexibility.  I would agree with Mark, trying to define extensions.conf in
XML would be very frustrating and very inflexible.

Craig