[Asterisk-Users] Digium and mailing lists

Jay Milk jay at skimmilk.net
Sun Sep 26 14:35:54 MST 2004

Things aren't "bad in the US at the moment."  In fact, I think they're
pretty good, because people actually seem concerned about PATENT and
COPYRIGHT LAWs which your initial post attempted to circumvent.  There
was no issue with freedom of expression; there was an issue with
legality of posts based on content.  You're free to express your
discontent about G.729 licensing issues, but you're not allowed to
advertise a way to *steal* the software.  In other terms, you are
allowed to loudly and eloquently disagree with the price of goods, but
your disapproval does not give you the right to steal it -- or explain
to others how to steal and get away with it.

FWIW, your little blurp, while obviously politically motivated,
contained several inaccuracies: 1) There is no person by the name of Cat
Stevens.  That former singer changed his name legally to Yusuf Islam
decades ago.  2) He was not deported, but rather denied entry.  It's the
right of any country to turn non-citizens back for any reason, and it
happened to several friends of mine attempting to enter the US, Canada
and on two occasions, Germany.  3) Yusuf Islam is not a US Citizen and
as such has no legal *right* to enter the US as a visitor or for any
reason; therefore his proposed legal action will likely not be "legal"
in the sense that any law granting Mr. Islam rights, was indeed
violated.