[Asterisk-Users] Digium and mailing lists

Christian Hoffmeyer christian at yottadot.org
Sun Sep 26 15:01:12 MST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jay Milk" <jay at skimmilk.net>
<asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2004 4:35 PM
Subject: RE: [Asterisk-Users] Digium and mailing lists

> You're free to express your
> discontent about G.729 licensing issues, but you're not allowed to
> advertise a way to *steal* the software.  In other terms, you are
> allowed to loudly and eloquently disagree with the price of goods, but
> your disapproval does not give you the right to steal it -- or explain
> to others how to steal and get away with it.

I may agree with you from a moralistic point of view, but I'd like to
understand how instructions makes the author of the instructions liable for
any illegal activity committed by someone who used the instructions.

Should Microsoft be liable because someone wrote a virus after reading a
Visual Studio Macro How-To?

Should a screwdriver manufacturer be liable for my house being robbed
because their instructions tell you how much torque their screwdriver can
sustain and the robber got the idea to jimmy my window open?

If I give you a knife and the instructions on how to slaughter livestock in
a Kosher manner then you go out and slaughter some humans, am I responsible
for their murder?

Is Intel just as at fault in this situation in your opinion?

If someone explains how to use development code and someone chooses to
commit an illegal act with it, why should the author be punished?

As for the mode of transmission, was Microsoft responsible because the 9/11
terrorists communicated via hotmail?

J.Christian Hoffmeyer