[Asterisk-Users] Re: [Asterisk-Dev] Free G.729 ready for download

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Sat Sep 25 03:03:31 MST 2004

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Steve Underwood wrote:

> >>According to most lawyers a patch _is_ a derived work in nearly all
> >>circumstances. E.g. a novel based on the characters from a novel by
> >>another author is a derived work.
> >>

> No. A patched copy is a derived work. A patch avoids containing enough
> of the original to count.

Well, you need to see your lawyer about that. What I said above is what
the Usenix legal council told usduring a workshop.

As an example, if I were to write a few more chapters to "Gone With the
Wind" those would be a derived work and, in countries signatories to one
of the two copyright treaties, the property of the original copyright
holders.

An explaination by someone more skilled with words than I am is at
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-licenses/2004-March/000528.html

Had the patch been against the actual g729 libraries the case would have
been clear. Now, the patch is against asterisk to make it interoperate
with the g729 libarary and this may or may not be non-infringing. However,
the distribution of the g729 libraries themselves are almost certainly
infringing. There is also the possibility that the patch to asterisk may
be ruled a contribuatory infringement.

Just because it is a patch does not mean it is non-infringing. See a
lawyer.

Peter