[Asterisk-Users] Re: [Asterisk-Dev] Free G.729 ready for download

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sat Sep 25 02:37:24 MST 2004

Michael Bielicki wrote:

>find someone to host it in India or serbia and you can safely ignore it :)
>

>On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 10:22:52 +0200 (CEST), Peter Svensson
><psvasterisk at psv.nu> wrote:

>>>What is the relevance of being a US citizen? Copyright rules are largely
>>>global.
>>>

>>There are two different major sets of copyright laws, depending on which
>>treaty they were derived from. They are not always compatible. They differ
>>in such points as whether you can transfer your copyright or merely assign
>>the rights granted by it.

There are a number of variants in this area. Some countries will not
allow someone to put things into the public domain. Perhaps I should
have been more specific. What is copyrightable is pretty much global.

>>>But the patches aren't a derived work. That is the value they have here.
>>>There are an independant adjunct work.
>>>

>>According to most lawyers a patch _is_ a derived work in nearly all
>>circumstances. E.g. a novel based on the characters from a novel by
>>another author is a derived work.

No. A patched copy is a derived work. A patch avoids containing enough
of the original to count.

>>If you are producing copies of just about anything you really need to
>>speak to your lawyer to be safe. The excpetion possibly being open source
>>stuff based soley on open source stuff.
>>
>>Anyway, this is getting too far off topic for this list. Mea culpa.
>>
>>Peter

Keeping * legal is off topic? Weird notion.

Regards,
Steve