[Asterisk-Users] Free G.729 ready for download

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri Sep 24 20:24:31 MST 2004

Eric Wieling wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 20:33, Steve Underwood wrote:
>

>>It is very difficult to be legally correct with this. The IP holders
>>don't have simple programs for selling licences in small quantities. If
>>you buy licences from Digium, they deal with the IP issues on a larger
>>volume basis. Unless you want to deploy thousands of copies, I doubt you
>>can find a sane legal arrangement for doing it.
>>

>I've often wondered if you could buy Digium's G729 codec license then
>use a different ACTUAL library for cases where you want G729 on *BSD or
>Sparc or wanted to do specific optimizations to the source.  Would that
>be legal.....

I talked with Mark about that a long time ago. I tried what Daniel has
done this week, as an experiment to see how well the Intel code
performed by using SIMD instructions. The answer is unclear, but I think
it works like this: As an end user you are licenced to use the code to
an agreed extent (number of concurrent instances, or whatever), and that
licence includes using the patent royalities. That doesn't seem to
entitle you to use the patents in any other way. The answer seems to be
that although you are using only the appropriate number of copies, you
are not allowed to do this.

Regards,
Steve