[Asterisk-Users] Free G.729 ready for download

Eric Wieling eric at fnords.org
Fri Sep 24 20:21:23 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 20:33, Steve Underwood wrote:
> It is very difficult to be legally correct with this. The IP holders
> don't have simple programs for selling licences in small quantities. If
> you buy licences from Digium, they deal with the IP issues on a larger
> volume basis. Unless you want to deploy thousands of copies, I doubt you
> can find a sane legal arrangement for doing it.

I've often wondered if you could buy Digium's G729 codec license then
use a different ACTUAL library for cases where you want G729 on *BSD or
Sparc or wanted to do specific optimizations to the source.  Would that
be legal.....

          Eric Wieling * BTEL Consulting * 504-899-1387 x2111
"In a related story, the IRS has recently ruled that the cost of Windows
upgrades can NOT be deducted as a gambling loss."