[Asterisk-Users] Free G.729 ready for download

steve szmidt steve at szmidt.org
Sat Sep 25 10:21:16 MST 2004

There's another legal side to all of this which we need to evaluate carefully.

Putting the list and Digium, at risk, by being in a position of having it used
to break the law.

Starting a few years ago ISPs became liable for harboring lawbreaking
customers, and ended up answering to the court.

If a court can be convinced that a particular list is used to spread illegal
copies of let's say G729, then it's possible it could be held liable.

The only thing I see missing from those types of court cases at this point, is
Digium have probably not received a letter saying their customers are using
their resources to violate someones copyright/patent - with a cease and
desist letter.

So the question is - do we really want to take that chance? Lawers do what
they do as that is their livelyhood. If we get someones attention once, it
will be that much closer to a second time.

The law breaking would be trafficing in illegal copies of G729 with the intent
of breaking the law.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                Benjamin Franklin