[Asterisk-Users] ISDN (point to point) questions

Bjoern Adler asterisk at brainhawk.de
Fri Sep 24 15:47:41 MST 2004

Hi Danny,

dont mix ppp and p2p...

pp = point to point
pmp = point to multipoint
(both are ISDN connection configurations)

ppp = point to point protocol
a higher level protocol for data transmission etc.

Of which type your ISDN connection is, is usually easy to decide looking
at your phonenumbers

A PMP has MSNs (usually (in Germany) up to 10 with EuroISDN)
There may be up to (I'm not sure...) 8  devices connected to one PMP
ISDN connection.

A PP has one base number with DIDs (like 234567-0 234567-10 234567-11
etc). There may only be one device connected to the ISDN connection.
And with PP you can have several BRIs or PRIs 'sharing' the same number.

Greetings

Bjoern