[Asterisk-Users] Re: Asterisk-Users Digest, Vol 2, Issue 216

Sudhir Kumar sudhir1 at adelphia.net
Wed Sep 22 07:37:28 MST 2004

Private Leased Line between India and US are expensive :-(

If you took a decent internet connection in India, around 1Mbps, you
will be paying $1500 to $2000/month there. That is still a lot cheaper
than private leased line. If your call center is in Mumbai (Bombay) the
delays are not bad.

One of my clients has call centers in India as well as in US and they
have been using this kind of setup for last 6 months, seldom a problem
with call quality. Of course, QoS is not guaranteed, but has worked
extremely well so far. Ping time between the servers in US and India
typically is around 245ms

Another client preferred to go leased line route. They are paying
$6000/month for 512Kbps connection ($3000 for India leg, $3000 for USA
leg), and I cannot notice any difference in call quality. Just to give
you an idea, ping time is around 220 ms for this client. A difference of
25 ms, not significant IMO.

Occasionally, both of my clients have suffered bad jitters, and
invariably, they were caused by infected PCs which were trying to
consume the entire bandwidth.

Going the Vonage route is worst option as far as QoS is concerned.

What kind of call volume are you looking at? Feel free to send me an
email if you want any more information/help.

-- sudhir