[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and SER

Christopher Jacob chris.jacob at eyestreet.com
Thu Sep 16 08:02:09 MST 2004

Hi All,

Can someone help me clear up some stuff? I am about to implement asterisk
for a office of about 20 people. I plan on running SIP phones for everyone.
(a mix of Cisco Sets and Xlite soft phones)

We will place the Asterisk server at a collocation provider and have in
connected to the PSTN via 2 PRIs. (digium card)

When customers call our 800 number they will be sent to asterisk. When they
enter an extension I want asterisk to check if that SIP users is logged in
and if not transfer the call back out over PSTN (to a cell phone)

Now, here is where things are a little foggy... I want put a local Asterisk
server here in the office so that the SIP users connect to it thereby
reducing the chatter across the WAN. I would like to have the two Asterisk
servers communicate via IAX.

Questions:
1. Does this scenario pass muster? Is my thinking logical or does anyone
have a better suggestion?

2. Is this possible? Can the remote Asterisk server check to see if the SIP
user is logged in to the local Asterisk server before sending the call
across the WAN?

3. Should I be using SER vs. another Asterisk server? The problem I see with
this is that it doesn't support IAX. I believe that is the preferred method?
Am I right?

Thanks for all the help from the OSS community. Great software!!!

~chris

Christopher Jacob		Eye Street Software
Program Manager,        14151 Newbrook Drive
Partner Products	      Suite 250
301.305.0991            Chantilly, VA 20151
                        www.eyestreet.com