[Asterisk-Users] Re: hfc-s card, brii-stuff.0.1.0-RC4a, zaphfc: sync lost, pci performance too low. you might have some cpu throtteling enabled.

Hartmut Wahl hwahl at hwahl.de
Wed Sep 15 02:24:27 MST 2004

Hello,

I have investigated the issue a bit further, I was not able to find the
root cause, maybe it is the KT133 Chipset of my ASUS A7V. However I
found a bad hack to make it work under some circumstances. I commented
out the line:

printk(KERN_CRIT "zaphfc: sync lost, pci performance too low. you might
have some cpu throtteling enabled.\n");

in zaphfc/zaphfc.c. Since when this situation happened once, the syslog
started and this caused the situation again -> endless loop with high
sysload. Now the sync lost happens probably every now and then but it
does not go into an endless loop.

I also recognized that I must not run setiathome since then the audio
quality of connections via the hfc-card will suffer (crackling).
Amazingly cpuburn (takes every cpu-Time it gets as well) does not have
this effect. I have no idea what strange things setiathome does to cause
this but it reminds me of a sound card problem on this board. My SB-Live
had crackling when I ran setiathome but I think with a newer driver
(and ALSA I think) this problem was gone.

Things that did not help:
- Trying to change the latency (is fixed to 16 and cannot be changed)
- Trying to change the latency of my other pci-devices (much higher and
  much lower).
- Playing around with BIOS Options like delayed transaction, etc.
- Changing PCI-slots
- Making sure that the ISDN-card did not share the IRQ
- Having only the ISDN-card and the Video-card in the System

Hope that helps others who encounter this problem as well
 Hartmut

--
Hartmut Wahl <hwahl (at) hwahl (dot) de>
www: http://www.hwahl.de