[Asterisk-Users] Use ISP's SIP account for IP-PSTN gateway

Tue Sep 14 06:20:03 MST 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:48:52 +0900, Kuniyoshi Murata
<kuni at ej-interpreter.net> wrote:
> A. Setup IP PBX on Linux by using Asterisk.
> B. For IP-PSTN gateway, configure Asterisk to use my ISP's SIP account and
> connect to my ISP's IP telephony service.
>
> Is that possible?

Murata-san,

A is certainly possible, B depends on how you want to connect and what
provider you are using.

You can get a Digium X100P FXO card and connect it to the RJ-11 analog
phone jack on your ADSL modem. Digium's card does not have JATE type
approval but if you use an ADSL splitter so that you are not
connecting through to NTT, then you don't need any JATE approved card.

Otherwise, you need to get a winmodem from a Japanese importer with
JATE type approval, but it must have the Intel 537 chipset (aka
Ambient) which is very hard to get these days in Japan. Kuroutoshikou
used to sell a modem with this chipset but they stopped selling them.

In principle you could use Asterisk's ability to talk to SIP proxies
and connect to your SIP provider directly without any analog converter
boxes in between, but in practise this is "muzukashii". The providers
don't easily give you the necessary information and even if they do,
it usually doesn't work.

At present, the only VoIP service in Japan that doesn't expect you to
use an analog telephone adapter (inside your ADSL modem) is Taraba.net
but they are at present only accepting connections from X-Lite and
X-Pro softphones. This is expected to change in the near future though
as they are getting their customer support ready to deal with other
types of devices.

If you have any more questions about Asterisk or need any assistance
feel free to contact me directly. I am in Shibuya. Nihongo demo
daijoubu desu.

yoroshiku
benjk
Tokyo, Japan.