[Asterisk-Users] Caller ID "forwarded" to analog phone?

Mon Sep 13 14:15:38 MST 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 14:57:08 -0400, Walt Reed <asterisk at linuxguy.com> wrote:
> Check the asterisk Wiki for hardware compatability. I did not see an IP
> -> FXO (or FXS) device on the pcphoneline site.  They had a couple IP
> phones that may or may not work with * (check the wiki) and a USB FXS
> adaptor that may or may not work with *.

I don't know how to put this diplomatically, but PCphoneline are one
of those few companies which would appear to be somewhat abusive of
the Wiki. I had to repeatedly remove their entries from categories
that the listed product clearly did not belong to. Quite a few people
ended up buying the wrong product. I know this because some folks
contacted me for help when they couldn't configure the stuff they
bought.

My advice to anyone looking for fxo/fxs gateways would be this: Be
*extremely* careful about products listed on the VoIP Gateway and ATA
Wikis if the product listing sticks out with marketing language,
something along the lines of ...

"ONLY 59.99 ! Does everything - Works with everything - Needs no
drivers and no software"

If it sounds too good to be true, there is a high chance it probably is.

USB devices for example will almost certainly require some software
that is only available for Windoze and some softphone, it won't work
directly with Asterisk. The only USB device that can be expected to
work with Asterisk is the S100U from Digium and that was only ever
intended for development and testing purposes, not recommended for
real usage.

rgds
benjk

Tokyo, Japan.