[Asterisk-Users] Caller ID "forwarded" to analog phone?

Walt Reed asterisk at linuxguy.com
Mon Sep 13 11:57:08 MST 2004

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 02:32:29PM -0400, Andrew said:

> I'm a bit new to the terminology.  Let me ask my question more simply, even though I think you already answered that "it should
> work"
>
> I want to receive calls into the Asterisk PBX via a cheap POTS->PBX method, such as a WinModem or other FXS endpoint on the Asterisk
> PBX.
>
> I want the caller ID & call-waiting information that comes in on that line to be forwarded by the Asterisk PBX to a connected IP
> phone.
>
> Most importantly:  I also want to connect a POTS phone via an IP<->FXO jack, such as the one supplied by www.pcphoneline.com and I
> want to know if the caller ID/call-waiting is likely to work on that POTS phone.

I think you are consfused on terminology.

You hook a phone line to a FXO port on your asterisk server, and a
normal analog telephone to a FXS port on your server. A winmodem can't
be an FXS interface. The digium X100P is a specific winmodem card that *
supports as an FXO port. Other winmodems probably won't work (unless
they are based on the exact same chipset, and not even all those work.)

Digium products come with support that can help you get it going. Other
generic products are unlikely to come with that support.

Check the asterisk Wiki for hardware compatability. I did not see an IP
-> FXO (or FXS) device on the pcphoneline site.  They had a couple IP
phones that may or may not work with * (check the wiki) and a USB FXS
adaptor that may or may not work with *. I really don't think you want
to mess with an FXS to FXO converter.

There are several inexpensive IP -> FXO / FXS adaptors that are known to
work with * listed on the Wiki. I would suggest one of those. I've heard
good things about the Sipura products.

CallerID is forwarded to all * supported products AFAIK.

When dealing with VOIP phones, you generally get what you may for.
Careful of low-end cheap stuff unless the Wiki indicates that it works
very well with *.