[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk with Primus Talkbroadband

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Wed Sep 8 12:05:43 MST 2004

> Jon,
>
> Does Primus actually use MGCP though?  I've heard mix
> results (though keep in mind I only became interested
> in all of this earlier today, so I know very little).
> I checked the specs on my dlink and it says it's SIPs
> with no mention of MGCP.  However everywhere else says
> Primus is not SIPs.

What is the exact model of your gateway ?
There is an M and S model that are very similar in looks/features except
one is sip and one is mgcp (at least last time I looked in detail at what
they were supplying)

What ports did you open in your firewall for this to work ? that should be
another way to tell unless you are wide open.

I would try it but I really don't want yet another number, I have numbers
in Mississauga and St.Catharines I would like to migrate as long as it is
decent quality.

> As far as quality, I've had mixed results as well.
> One of my co-workers says it sounds horrible, but no
> one else seems to notice anything.  Could be the fact
> that I'm using a cordless phone though.  Incoming call
> quality seems pretty good.  Even when downloading at
> 500K/sec+ it still seems to sound pretty good with
> only minor choppiness.  My best suggestion though, is
> to get it for a month or so and try it out seeing as
> it's only $20/month.
>

>  --- Jon Pounder <JonP at inline.net> wrote:
>>
>> I have asked before and got no answers - I am still
>> not clear as to why
>> there is not an MGCP client as part of asterisk - is
>> it a technical
>> reason, no one else wants it, other ?
>>
>> It is my understanding primus is using mgcp, and
>> therefore is unable to
>> directly interface with asterisk, password or not.
>>
>> I would like to hear your experiences with quality
>> though since I am
>> considering switching to it anyway and run the dlink
>> boxes into my channel
>> bank for now, and figure out the software issues
>> later.
>>

>> > Hey,
>> >
>> > I've checked all over and can't find what I need
>> > know, so I'm posting here.  I want to use Asterisk
>> > with my Primus VoIP service but it seems I need a
>> > username and password to authenticate with at
>> Primus.
>> > Has anyone had any experience with this?  How did
>> you
>> > get it?  Is it stored somewhere in the D-Link
>> gateway
>> > they gave me?  Thanks in advance and sorry if this
>> > makes no sense.  I'm completely new to this.

>> Jon Pounder
>>
>>    _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/
>> _/_/_/_/
>>     _/    _/_/  _/  _/         _/    _/_/  _/  _/_/
>>    _/    _/  _/_/  _/         _/    _/  _/_/  _/
>> _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/  _/    _/
>> _/_/_/_/
>>

>> Inline Internet Systems Inc.
>> Thorold, Ontario, Canada
>>
>> Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
>> www.inline.net
>> www.ihtml.com
>> www.ihtmlmerchant.com
>> www.opayc.com