[Asterisk-Users] Newby question. Basic structure

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon Sep 6 06:57:36 MST 2004

> From: Rodolfo Grave <rodolfograve at yahoo.es>
>
> I've being reading posts from the list since yesterday and I feel this
> question was answered a lot time ago, but the list archives are a mess
> (yet). I hope some one is willing to help me out.
>
> I want to set up this:
>
> caller ----- PSTN ---- (SOMETHING1) ------ VoIP --------- (SOMETHING2)
> ---- PSTN
>
> I think this must be a very basic architecture, but I'm not sure wat
> SOMETHING1 and SOMETHING2 are. I've been on this for a while now (around
> two months) and till yesterday I haven't find Asterisk.
>
> Can you help me? I need to know hardware and software needs for this. I
> have read a few about voIP and have some programming and configuration
> skills under Linux and Windows.

In terms of using asterisk to implement your diagram, "something1" and
"something2" are basic linux boxes equipped with:
 - pstn interface card (such as x100p, tdm, isdn, T1 card)
 - ethernet interface (to connect to your broadband internet)
 - asterisk software

The type of pstn interface card to use will be dependent upon how
many "simultanous" phone conversations you'd like to support. The
x100p card is a single pstn line interface; the tdm card supports
one to four (tdm04b bundle) pstn lines (the tdm card needs to be
purchased with fxo interface modules); the isdn card supports from
one to 23 (?) pstn logical interfaces (depending upon the exact
card purchased); or the T1/E1 card supports from 1 to 24 (T1) or
1 to 32 (E1-?) conversations. You'll find most of those cards at
www.digium.com under Hardware Products.

If you are outside the US, consider the TDM card as opposed to
the x100p card.

The size of Linux system will also be dependent on how many
simultanous calls you want to support, and exactly how you have
the system configured. For a single call, some folks have it
running on old 300 mhz (and slower) box, while high traffic
volumes will require a much faster system.

The asterisk software can be found on the digium home page
(lower-left menu option), which points to www.asterisk.org

Also, lots of good reference material at www.voip-info.org

After you've configured your system with your favorite Linux
distro, download and compile asterisk per the instructions found
on the www.asterisk.org site. Pay attention to the last steps
on your screen that copies configuration samples to /etc/asterisk.
Read through those configuration files, read the info at
www.voip-info.org, and you should be able to get a system
running.