[Asterisk-Users] Analogue call answer detection

Tim Robinson timweb at txrx.org.uk
Thu Sep 2 14:40:41 MST 2004

Hi Tony -

I am needing the same thing.  In short, the answer is no.  the only way
you can reliably detect answer supervision is :

1) Line reversal from the telco or PBX.  I think BT will provide
reversal on answer if you request it as some payphones need it.

2) Meter pulse.  This starts from the point the call is charged, i.e.
answer supervision.  BT charge an arm and leg for this and they are
phasing it out anyway as payphones rely on built in tariff tables and
line reversal.

3) Our old friend ISDN.  Perfect.

for busy, busydetect=yes is pretty good on analogue lines.

In the mantime you can use the c option in the Dial command to force the
user to answer the call by pressing the # key.  There is a new feature
request http://bugs.digium.com/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=0002356 that
relates to this to play a message rather than silence to the called
party to indicate that some action is required on their part to accept
the call.

Rgds
Tim
Basingstoke