[Asterisk-Users] How far is IAX to be a Standard

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Sat Oct 30 13:41:23 MST 2004

> Hello Guys
>
> Is Saturday and just to get my Actually poor Asterisk knowledge a
> little more rich
>
> How far is IAX to be a Industry Standard I mean like SIP or H.323 ,
> IAX seems to be the answer to many many NAT problems in this
> Out-Of-Available-IP's World but what does the big guys (cisco , etc)
> think about IAX?
>
> what does the RFC's guys and the Pseudo-Cisco IETF think about this Protocol?

Who cares?  It's not all that uncommon for a standard to be devised by
people doing the work in an area, and then for the RFC to be written to
document the standard.

There are VoIP providers offering IAX, so it's clearly on the radar.  If
it's a worthy technology, it will eventually win out (and it looks to me
like that's exactly what is happening).

... JG