[Asterisk-Users] Gentoo

Matt White whitem at arts.usask.ca
Tue Oct 26 19:51:54 MST 2004

Jay Milk wrote:
> Thanks for the help-offer, but I think the disadvantages of being a
> linux-idiot and attempting a very ambitious install, such as Gentoo,
> outweigh the few advantages which Gentoo may or may not award me.  Since
> this is a home-office PBX, I can afford a slightly less than optimal
> kernel which (in Mandrake's case) only takes an hour or two to install.
> My foray into Gentoo was painful, and it seemed to be hitting on all
> kinds of hardware issues.
>
> More to the point: I'm not smart enough to install Gentoo, but I'm smart
> enough to admit defeat and move on.

Actually, Gentoo is a pretty decent distro even for a newbie, as long as
you can follow directions fairly well.  The Gentoo install handbook is
excellent, and details what you need to do step-by-step.  The advantage
is that you actually learn what's going on in the background rather than
have it hidden behind a pretty installer :-)

The only drawback to Gentoo, particularly for a stage 1 install (build
everything from scratch) is that it takes quite a bit of time.  My
laptop (P4 1.6) took about 2 days to get completely setup with X and
KDE.  On the other hand, dual P4 2.4 Xeon boxes seem to build up into
servers pretty darn quick :-)

I've got twenty-some gentoo boxes, with a couple of them running
Asterisk.

Matt White                          whitem at arts.usask.ca
Arts and Science Computer Labs      University of Saskatchewan