[Asterisk-Users] Re: Benjk's Question "Why FXS"

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Mon Oct 25 16:18:51 MST 2004

On October 25, 2004 07:15 pm, Reid A. Forrest wrote:
> I may be wrong, but from what I've seen so far, an FXS port will run you
> about $100/port anyway, plus the cost of the analog device. At this price,
> I can't see any reason not to dump the analog and go with a cheap VOIP
> device. Even the lowest end (i.e. Grandstream) will give you more
> functionality than most analog phones at the same price. Now if you have a
> source for cheap or free channel banks, that's another story.

You are clearly smoking something.  Adit600 fully loaded (48 FXS) off ebay for
US$500.  That's about $11/port, plus the cost of any old phone.  Hell throw
in a pair of T100Ps and it's STILL $32/port.

IP Phones require massive rewiring of your network infrastructure -- throwing
those phones with the built-in switches in the mix is just asking for
trouble.

-A.