[Asterisk-Users] Re: Benjk's Question "Why FXS"

Stephen R. Besch sbesch at acsu.buffalo.edu
Fri Oct 29 07:00:26 MST 2004

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

> IP Phones require massive rewiring of your network infrastructure -- throwing
> those phones with the built-in switches in the mix is just asking for
> trouble.
>
> -A.
I agree - if you are have a hub based architecture. But not if you are
using switches. And, sharing existing ports using a small 4-port switch
(maybe 40 bucks or less) you don't even need much extra wiring. The
packet traffic level from an IP phone is just not enough to be of any
concern unless you are moving gigs of data simultaneously over the same
shared port.

Stephen R. Besch