[Asterisk-Users] Calling IAX client behind NAT

steve at daviesfam.org steve at daviesfam.org
Thu Oct 21 12:30:55 MST 2004

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, alexandre::aldeia digital wrote:

> If a configure the network in Firefly, the registration occurs, but
> after a seconds:
>
> *CLI> Oct 21 13:39:58 NOTICE[8200]: chan_iax2.c:6155 iax2_poke_noanswer:
> Peer 'teste' is now UNREACHABLE! Time: 0
>
> iax2 show peers
> Name/Username    Host                 Mask             Port      Status
> teste            x.x.x.x  (D)  255.255.255.255  4569      UNREACHABLE
>
> The "qualify=yes" suggested by Joe Dennick, try to send "alive packets"
> to NATed firefly, but this not functions. Anyway, the conversation with
> the client (if he MAKE THE CALL) occurs perfectly. But after
> disconnection the call (register continues ok!!!), I can't connect to him.

So it looks like the NAT gateway is very aggressive about deleting the
port mapping for port 4569.  Most will wait a minute or two before
dropping the mapping.

How long does your NAT gateway keep the connection?

Or, maybe, you've got two machines both trying to use the same port or
something like that.

You need a packet capture, and to examine exactly what the NAT box is
doing.

This seems to be a particularly nasty example seeing most every one I've
met handled IAX just fine.

Steve