[Asterisk-Users] Calling IAX client behind NAT

alexandre::aldeia digital alepaes at ad2.com.br
Thu Oct 21 11:16:07 MST 2004

I try to explain again:

Client(Firefly) --> NAT --> INTERNET --> * (public IP) --> SIPURA

iax.conf:
[teste]
type=friend
host=dynamic
secret=<snip>
callerid="9955"
qualify=yes

extensions.conf:
exten => 8000,1,Dial(IAX2/teste,20,tTm)
exten => 8000,2,Hangup

1) The firefly BEHIND NAT connects to my "public IP" * AND TALK with me
w/o problems!
2) Hang-UP (the current call)
3) If I try to dial the extension 8000, the client could not be reached
because it is behind a NAT

I want to make a "peer-to-peer" network, like Skype or ICQ: giving a
user, pass and defining a extension. If I want to talk with the customer
X, I will dial your extension. If he talk with me, he dial anything.

I discover that if a Dial with a URL (iax://teste:teste@domain) in
firefly, asterisk does not register the client. He talks normally, but
it is not appears registered in "iax2 show peers". Qualify=yes does not
funcions here.

If a configure the network in Firefly, the registration occurs, but
after a seconds:

*CLI> Oct 21 13:39:58 NOTICE[8200]: chan_iax2.c:6155 iax2_poke_noanswer:
Peer 'teste' is now UNREACHABLE! Time: 0

iax2 show peers
Name/Username    Host                 Mask             Port      Status
teste            x.x.x.x  (D)  255.255.255.255  4569      UNREACHABLE

The "qualify=yes" suggested by Joe Dennick, try to send "alive packets"
to NATed firefly, but this not functions. Anyway, the conversation with
the client (if he MAKE THE CALL) occurs perfectly. But after
disconnection the call (register continues ok!!!), I can't connect to him.

Thanks for all, people.

Alexandre