[Asterisk-Users] Running as non-root user ( was: Vmail.cgi Bahhh!!)

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Wed Oct 20 10:08:59 MST 2004

Paul Dugas wrote:
> Being fairly retentive about security and a long time admin of Solaris and
> Linux machines, I find the default behaviour of * running as root
> troubling.  Forgive the potential offense but I don't trust *anyone*
> (including myself unless I have to) with root access.  If * is to become a
> product for the world of system admins to manage and monitor, it needs to
> have this problem addressed.
>
> It seems to me that given proper permissions in the installer for the
> files and devices (as Ryan suggested below), we may be able to achieve
> much of this rather painlessly.  The TCP ports * listens on are all above
> 1024 I think so that's not an issue.  What are the chances of seeing this
> in a 1.1 release?
>
> Paul
> "Retentive Boy"

Paul,

	This is well documented in the wiki and elsewhere.  You can run
asterisk as any user (preferably asterisk, obviously).  All you really
need to do is change ASTVARRUNDIR=/var/run/asterisk in the Makefile,
recompile, change safe_asterisk (maybe /etc/init.d/asterisk) to use user
asterisk and group asterisk.  Then find something to change all the
necessary permissions:

chown --recursive asterisk:asterisk /var/lib/asterisk
chown --recursive asterisk:asterisk /var/log/asterisk
chown --recursive asterisk:asterisk /var/run/asterisk
chown --recursive asterisk:asterisk /var/spool/asterisk
chown --recursive asterisk:asterisk /dev/zap
chmod --recursive u=rwX,g=rX,o= /var/lib/asterisk
chmod --recursive u=rwX,g=rX,o= /var/log/asterisk
chmod --recursive u=rwX,g=rX,o= /var/run/asterisk
chmod --recursive u=rwX,g=rX,o= /var/spool/asterisk
chmod --recursive u=rwX,g=rX,o= /dev/zap

chown --recursive root:asterisk /etc/asterisk
chmod --recursive u=rwX,g=rX,o= /etc/asterisk

--
Kristian Kielhofner