[Asterisk-Users] Running as non-root user ( was: Vmail.cgi Bahhh!!)

Paul Dugas Paul at DugasEnterprises.com
Wed Oct 20 09:40:11 MST 2004

Being fairly retentive about security and a long time admin of Solaris and
Linux machines, I find the default behaviour of * running as root
troubling.  Forgive the potential offense but I don't trust *anyone*
(including myself unless I have to) with root access.  If * is to become a
product for the world of system admins to manage and monitor, it needs to
have this problem addressed.

It seems to me that given proper permissions in the installer for the
files and devices (as Ryan suggested below), we may be able to achieve
much of this rather painlessly.  The TCP ports * listens on are all above
1024 I think so that's not an issue.  What are the chances of seeing this
in a 1.1 release?

Paul
"Retentive Boy"

--
Paul A. Dugas                               Dugas Enterprises, LLC
email: paul at dugasenterprises.com            1711 Indian Ridge Drive