[Asterisk-Users] PSTN -> PRI -> ASTERISK -> ASTERISK -> PRI -> Legacy switch ?

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Tue Oct 19 14:23:29 MST 2004

Hello,

  I'm new to Asterisk,  I'll be freeing up some hardware to play with it
next week.   Would it be possible to eat up 3 PRIs coming from the
phone company (Lucent 5ESS) into one Asterisk box, ship the traffic
over IP to another Asterisk box and back out as a PRI to a legacy
switch?  The legacy switch needs to think it is talking to a
Lucent/Nortel PRI (NI-1, NI-2) as a 'client'.   Would the ANI
information coming in from the Original PRIs get sent out the legacy
PRIs?  Essentially, I have a legacy switch that I *cannot* replace but
I want to put Asterisk in front of it to handle VoIP, IVR, VoiceMail
....  The two Asterisk boxes will be separated by two PtP T1s (MLPPP),
3 mbps, Cisco 2620XM series routers.

What type of CPU do I need to handle 3 PRIs + IVR + Voicemail + 30 VoIP
phones (Cisco 7900 series)?

-Matt