[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk System Management User Interface

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Mon Oct 18 11:58:11 MST 2004

	What kind of user interface is most common when managing an
Asterisk PBX?  If this question sounds odd, here is what I am after.

	As a computer user who happens to be blind, I see Linux and
FreeBSD as a real God-send as I do lea sure activities as well as my
job which is the feeding and care of several UNIX servers plus a lot
of scripting-type automation and some C programming.

	In UNIX, the X environment is not really ready for prime time
yet when it comes to speech synthesizers and other adaptations but the
text world is going great guns.  lynx is our browser of choice because
it handles html as long as there is no javascript.

	I tried looking at the archives for this list but it looks
like the site uses javascript in the search.  I typed in the search
terms and used the arrow keys as instructed and quickly realized that
nothing was going to happen except for a repaint of the screen, a very
javascriptish sort of failure mode.

	Basically if command and control of an Asterisc system can be
done with scripting or from the command line, that is good.  We all
know that the CLI is not always pretty, but it can get the job done
and no CLI sometimes means that certain automation is impractical.

	Most UNIX applications still keep the command line, but I have
run in to one or two that were poorly-transplanted Windows GUI's which
required X and had no CLI counterpart.  A certain enterprise backup
retrieval system we used to use here was built that way.

	I suspect that this is not the case with Asterisk.  I want to
hear your collective thoughts.

	Thank you.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Information Technology Division Network Operations Group